Have you just started blogging, and need to get the traffic ball rolling? Or have you been blogging for a while without seeing much rise in traffic?
Rome wasn't built in a day, and the same applies to blogging. It takes time, patience and a lot of persistence before results start to show.
But it also means using the right tactics. This article gives you 101 essential tips to start putting into action for your blog - and see your traffic levels, and your blog, transform.
- Email List -
1. Ensure you have set up an email list - as your list grows, so will your traffic.
-- Growing your list ---
2. Include a call to action with each post that encourages readers to join your list.
3. Use popovers, popups, links etc. to encourage people to join your list.
4. Test different lead magnets to attract higher opt-in levels.
5. Set up squeeze pages with the sole purpose of building your list.
6. Split test all list-building pages, links and banners for maximize conversions.
7. Set up regular solo ads to build your list (and from there your blog traffic).
-- Communicating regularly --
8. Communicate regularly with your list to build relationships and attract traffic.
9. Send an ezine each time your blog is updated.
10. In your ezine, use the Featured Image from each blog post to increase engagement and drive traffic.
11. Only include the first paragraph in your email - link to your blog for the full post.
12. Include archived posts in your ezine for additional click-throughs.
13. Create follow-up messages for new subscribers linking to key blog posts.
-- Increasing response --
14. Split test subject lines of your emails to maximize open rates.
15. Encourage new subscribers to whitelist your email.
- Facebook -
16. Create a Facebook Page - post content relevant to your marketplace.
17. On your Facebook Page profile, link to an opt-in page for your list.
18. Include your site's URL in your header image and offer a lead magnet.
19. Update to Facebook with each new post.
20. Promote your post using the "Boost Post" option on Facebook.
21. Ensure blog visitors can "Like" you directly (use a Facebook widget).
22. Add Facebook social proof to your blog, eg. a "Facebook Like Box".
- Twitter -
23. Create a Twitter account for your blog.
24. On your Twitter page, include a link to your site in your header image.
25. Include your site's URL in your Twitter header image.
26. For each blog post schedule multiple Tweets focusing on different aspects of your content.
27. Use appropriate hashtags to help promote your content.
28. Include the post's Featured Image when you tweet to increase engagement.
29. Tweet/retweet content from influencers and other authority blogs in your marketplace.
30. To build your Twitter followers, follow other people in your target market.
31. Use Twitter's paid ads to build your Twitter follower count.
32. Promote tweets and get your blog post in front of new audiences.
33. Leave 20 characters or so free in each Tweet to encourage retweeting.
34. Add Twitter social proof to your blog, eg. a Twitter Followers widget.
35. Set up scheduled Tweets for old blog posts too.
- Your Blog -
36. Be patient! Allow for several months' blogging before you see increases in traffic.
37. Create great content--the better it is, the more traffic you attract long-term.
38. Craft post titles to attract attention and more traffic.
39. Create content and share it consistently (at least weekly).
40. Add images to your post eg. relevant pictures and infographics.
41. Use keyword research to help shape your posts and maximize search visibility.
42. Create a Featured Image for each post to increase engagement, including when sharing.
43. Install the Yoast plugin for WordPress to help build rankings.
44. Link to valuable posts on other blogs - invite them to reciprocate.
45. Create evergreen posts you can continue sharing over an extended time period.
46. Ensure your blog is responsive so your content is accessible across devices.
47. Experiment with list-type and how-to posts to see what's most popular with your readers.
48. Use Buzzsumo for research and help guide the type of post you create in future.
49. Search subreddits for keywords relating to your niche and try to find a relevant community.
50. Ensure your blog loads quickly. Use a content delivery network for images, etc. for your site.
51. Use list-type posts to create a series of helpful updates on social media, eg. one tip = one tweet.
52. Make it easy to share your content via social share buttons.
53. Create 2000+ word posts for better search rankings and more shares.
54. Create link-worthy resource pages on your blog.
55. Create posts that aggregate content from other blogs.
56. Always respond to comments promptly to help build relationships.
- Other Blogs -
57. Comment on other blogs where your marketplace congregates - other bloggers may reciprocate.
58. Connect with other bloggers on networks like Twitter - compliment content you enjoyed via DM.
59. Ask to quote or link to fellow blogs from a post of your own.
60. Invite bloggers in your niche to guest post on your blog.
61. Ask other blogs if they accept guest posts.
- LinkedIn -
62. Create a company page on LinkedIn.
63. Include your link in your Company Description and offer a lead magnet.
64. Whenever you post to your blog, share it on your LinkedIn company page.
65. Adapt each post into an article, then publish on LinkedIn Pulse with a link back to your blog.
66. Build your personal network on LinkedIn to increase views of your content on LinkedIn Pulse, etc.
67. Take part in LinkedIn Group discussions and conversations or start your own LinkedIn Group.
68. Sponsor the update about your blog post, and get it in front of an increased network on LinkedIn.
- Pinterest -
69. Create a business account on Pinterest.
70. Add your website's link to your Pinterest profile and verify it.
71. Pin your blog post's Featured Image to Pinterest when you post to your blog.
72. Use Pinterest Analytics-info on your most popular pins helps you plan future visuals for your blog.
73. Host a competition on your blog--done right, this can give your blog a lot of publicity.
- Quora -
74. Answer questions on Quora providing full and interesting answers that add value.
75. Use Quora to research topics that people in your market are interested in finding out more about.
- SlideShare -
76. Create a Slideshare account and link back to your site from your profile.
77. For each blog post, adapt it into a Slideshare presentation.
78. Put your link on each slide in image format so it's not repeated on each slide in the transcript.
79. Include a clickable link to a page on your blog and call to action at the end of the Slideshare.
80. Share the Slideshare across social media, building your relationship with your social community.
81. Add the Slideshare back into the blog post to which it relates-this helps your SEO and engagement.
- YouTube -
82. Create a YouTube channel for your blog. Your channel will attract subscribers over time.
83. Upload a header image containing your link to your YouTube channel.
84. Include the link to your site in your channel description.
85. Create a video based on your blog post using the presentation you created for Slideshare.
86. Add annotations to your video in YouTube to link back to your blog.
87. Share the video to YouTube, using the Featured Image, relevant keywords, and your link.
88. Embed the YouTube video you made for your post back into the original blog post.
- Podcasts -
89. Adapt your existing content into new podcast episodes you can then share potentially with millions.
90. Mention your blog frequently, as well as in the intro and outtro for your podcast.
91. Interview relevant blog owners or business owners for your podcast.
92. Market your podcast - refer to it in emails, on social and on your blog.
- Search -
93. Do keyword research and ensure your blog is optimized.
94. Keep the uniqueness of your own blog - repurpose, but don't republish your blog content elsewhere.
- Other Marketing Tactics -
95. Develop a powerful webinar to help sell your business's products and services.
96. Run periodic training lessons offering your expertise to your audience.
97. Use retargeting eg. on Google Adwords to encourage return traffic.
98. Be active in forums in your niche - share your expertise, linking back when appropriate.
99. Share new posts on StumbleUpon - it can still work for traffic.
100. Include links to your blog in email signatures.
101. Implement one more of these tips weekly for a year -- be patient!
vWriter.com helps you systemize, automate and delegate content marketing, and maximize the value out of every blog post. Download this list as a single-page PDF for your ongoing reference (it's completely free for readers of this article) - click here now.