Facts Surrounding Invisalign Braces
What are they?
Gone are the days where you had to walk around with an unsightly metal brace, enduring months of taunting, just so that you could have a straight smile. Nowadays, there are far much better, and aesthetically pleasing, options to choose from. One of them is the invisalign braces. These are invisible plastic that are placed over your teeth. They help in straightening out crooked teeth with time. Wearing a set of braces, without anyone ever having to know that you are wearing them, sounds exciting right? But before you book an appointment to have them installed, there are a few things you need to know first.
What You Need to Know
1. You will need to wear them for at least 20 hours per day. In order for these types of braces to be effective, you will be required to wear them for more than a couple of hours every day. Because of the ease with which you can remove them, a lot of people take advantage of that and end up wearing them only for a few hours a day. You should be prepared to be committed to wearing them every day until you achieve your desired results.
2. You will develop a slight lisp. It's exciting to get a set of braces that people cannot see, until you try to speak while wearing them. Before you become accustomed to them, you will lisp a lot, and this is something that those around you will notice. However, with time, you will get used to it, and barely notice it anymore.
3. It's not suitable for everyone. This type of braces is mostly meant for individuals with minor dental problems such as small gaps, crooked teeth and under bites. However, patients with bigger problems such as having a big bite, will have be better suited with metal braces.
4. You will need to learn to have a toothbrush on you at all times. This is to prevent yourself from walking around with a piece of lunch stuck in between your braces. If you eat three meals in a day, then you will need to brush thrice per day. You will go through toothbrushes quicker, so have another extra one on you just in case.
5. Avoid foods and drinks that will stain your teeth. It is commonly known that popular drinks like coffee tend to stain your teeth, and in addition, your braces too. If you are a coffee person and cannot function without it, then you will need to brush your teeth after every cup, and avoid wearing your braces if you have not cleaned your teeth. This will help reduce the chances of your braces becoming stained.
6. A possible positive side effect is that you will lose weight. Just the thought of going through the motions of cleaning your teeth after every meal will have you subconsciously reducing the number of times you eat in a day, which in turn will help you shed a few pounds.
Sam Whittle is a counsellor at Corinna St Orthodontics. He will take you step-by-step through what you need to know about dental braces. You are definitely in safe and able hands with Sam when you visit Corinna St Orthodontics.