Understanding The Ups And Downs Of Incognito Lingual Braces
What Are They?
Most people shudder at the thought of having to wear metal braces. Several years ago, metal braces were a cause for low self-esteem because of just how ugly they were. If you wore them you were probably ridiculed and became a social pariah.
Metal braces are still there, but they are thankfully more appealing. They come in slimmer, lighter and customizable designs. What's more, there is a new way of wearing metal braces: on the inside. This way, you can get all the benefits of metal braces, without them having to be seen. These braces are called incognito lingual braces.
Advantages Of Lingual Braces
1. They are invisible. This has got to be their biggest advantage, and the feature that most people go for. If you have had metal braces in the past, then you would understand how good it would feel to still get your teeth straightened without the braces in question being seen. No one has to know you are wearing braces at all.
2. Lingual braces offer a wide range of designs because of their flexible bracket systems. Hence manufacturers can create various designs that are suitable for most cases. Although the reason most people wear braces is because their teeth are misaligned, each case is best treated uniquely and this is why the variety comes in handy.
3. If in the event that your braces become discolored or stained, you won't have to hide your smile or avoid talking. Traditional braces always show signs of wear and tear, as well as stains that come from the various foods eaten. This combination often makes the braces look ugly. But with lingual braces, even if they do get discolored or worn out, no one will notice.
Disadvantages Of Lingual Braces
1. Because of their design, they are very expensive. Furthermore, the more customized you want your braces, the more money you will have to pay. Because of the kind of work involved in installing the braces, dentists tend to charge more. So whichever way you look at it, you will be paying more than what you would have with conventional braces.
2. The fact that they are not visible is both an advantage and disadvantage. It is a disadvantage because they are hard to clean, and you can never tell when they discolor or stain. In order for you to know how clean or dirty they are, you will have to remove them. The brackets and wiring of lingual braces tend to be even harder to clean. In order to truly clean your braces, you need to have them professionally done which does not come cheap.
3. These types of braces tend to very painful at the beginning. Most braces always cause some level of discomfort, but it is higher with lingual braces. In most cases the discomfort makes it hard to eat and speak for the first few days.
Dr. Sam Whittle is always dedicated to giving his patients the best dental service possible. You can always get top-notch service from his medical facility, CST Orthodontics. All the staff focus on giving each patient the best care. Visit us at CST Orthodontics webpage for more information.