Most likely, you're excited about your new look after finally going through the breast augmentation procedure. However, you've heard about all the complications and risks that are involved with this surgery, and are interested in knowing what you can do in order to prevent such complications from occurring.
Here are a few steps you can take that will help you reduce the risk of developing an infection:
1. During your breast surgery, your surgeon should give you two different antibiotics. These would be effective at getting rid of any bacterial infection you may have had, or that may develop.
2. After the procedure, you will be sore and experience some tenderness near the incision sites. You might even be tempted to soak in a hot tub for a few minutes to ease your discomfort. However, you are advised against doing this as it will only prevent the incision sites from healing properly. Doctors suggest that you should allow two weeks to pass before you can soak in a tub again. To be on the safe side, you should seek your doctor's approval before doing so.
3. Avoid going swimming. Aside from the strain you'll be placing on the incision sites, you need to avoid pool water because of the possible infections you may get from it. Three weeks to one month is the appropriate time you should wait before you go swimming again.
4. No matter how tempted you may be, you need to avoid touching the incision sites. It's very easy for you to transfer germs from your hands to the site, leading to an infection. If there is any type of ointment or cream you are required to apply, you should ask your surgeon if it will be okay to use a clean ball of cotton or some Q tips.
5. It's common to experience some kind of itching after surgery. This is caused by the skin stretching and can be relieved by applying topical lotion. You need to ensure that you don't apply the lotion on or too close to the incision site.
6. If the incision was made under your arm pits, you should avoid application of deodorant to that area for some time. It's preferable that you wait until your wound has completely closed up before applying any deodorant. Also, you should check with your surgeon to determine whether to keep the steri-strips on until they fall off by themselves, or if you should remove them instead.
7. It's normal to experience some light-headedness, dizziness or fatigue following surgery. Hence, it's important that you don't engage in any strenuous activity for at least two weeks. This will give your wound ample time to heal. In case any of these symptoms persists for more than a few days, it's advisable that you alert your doctor immediately.
Applying these tips will help you avoid some of the risks associated with breast surgery. Remember to always get in touch with your doctor if any other symptom arises that you can't explain.
Dr. Kourosh Tavakoli is one of the leading experts in cosmetic surgery. He approaches his work with patience and professionalism. His many successful surgeries testify to his expertise. Kindly visit us at Dr Tavakoli webpage for more details.